6.24.2010

Fallen-Review

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Genre: YA/Paranormal
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 2009
Pages: 464
ISBN: 0385738935

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


Sword and Cross is a dark, depressing place that feels more like prison than a boarding school. Luce finds herself being forced to enroll and attend the bleak establishment after a suspicious fire kills her boyfriend. Friendliness does not come easily between Luce and the majority of the student body. In the midst of the gloom and fog that hang over the school, however, Luce catches the eye of one of the more well-known students, Cam. Cam begins to pursue Luce but Luce has eyes for Daniel. Thus, the love triangle begins. But this love triangle is dangerous with deadly consequences.

After reading numerous mixed reviews, I wasn't sure if I'd like this book. I set out to find a book that would fill the void of my Twilight obsession. Though nothing can accomplish that, I feel that Lauren Kate's book came close but in another realm of young fiction. Instead of vampires and wolves, Fallen incorporates angels, more specifically, fallen angels. Though the beginning starts out a little slow, I began to really enjoy the story. The writing style easily captured my interest because it was not bogged down in flowery language. Lauren Kate's writing was imaginative and descriptive without overpowering the storyline. There are many unanswered questions and loose ends but I felt they were necessary. Lauren Kate took the time to introduce Luce, Cam, and Daniel and develop the story that surrounds all three of them. Lauren Kate does a masterful job of not divulging everything in this first book. The mysterious unknowns left me wanting more and pulled me deeper into the story. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment in the series.

My rating: 4 lattes because it was an intriguing read that left me wanting more. It completely engulfed me and had me eagerly turning the page to find out what happened next.





*Picture, information, summary from Amazon.com and Goodreads.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I came across your site from the crazy for books blog hop. I'm coming to the end of this now, and the complaint I have is that it takes soooo long to give away any information, and even at the end there are so many unanswered questions...
    If you'd like to try writing a reeeeally short review, maybe you'd like to have a go at my 'review-on-a-post-it' competition...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, even if to just say hi!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails